Friday 14 November 2014

Frosty Wishes


Well I am back to the blues today.  Really happy with the way this card turned out with it's frosty, icy looking background.  I was inspired by this challenge at Splitcoast this am.

To create my card, I began using a product called GOOSEBUMPS.  I had never heard of it before this summer but was curious and decided to order it from Simon Says Stamp with one of my orders.  It is like a glue medium that applies very easily using a foam top applicator.  I bought the clear, but they also have it in a shimmer...may have to order that one! 
So, I laid down my stencil and applied the Goosebumps over it.  Then, I pressed my Distress inks pads in Salty Ocean, Peacock Feather and Faded Jeans, onto my non-stick craft sheet, sprayed with water and dragged my stenciled card front (when it was dry!) through the wet ink.  It left such an icy, frosty look to my background.  To enhance that look a bit, I distressed it with some white ink.
 I die-cut the snowflake from SSS twice, once onto the silver paper and once onto white cardstock.  I glued the two together to give the snowflake more stability.  Normally the center area (the star) of the snowflake is removed but I added it back using pop dots with a pearl on top.
HELPFUL HINT:  The sentiment from Penny Black is called JOY.HOPE and was stamped with Stazon ink. When stamping over a textured or painted area, it is best to use this ink for a good impression.


 Adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says Stamp- STARS

Mixed Media Challenge- CHRISTMAS

Addicted to Stamps and More- ANYTHING GOES

Virginia's View- METALLIC

Just Add Ink- TEXTURE


Hope you are making progress with your Christmas preparations.  I so appreciate that you came by to take a look.

Supplies:  stamps- Penny Black/ Goosebumps/ stencil- SSS/ Distress ink/ bl. Stazon ink


27 comments:

Grá O'Neill said...

Beautiful card and it looks like a fun technique, can't wait to see you playing with the shimmer one :)

Lin said...

Another blue beauty, Karen! This looks almost tie-dyed! Love that sentiment, too, perfect!

Far North said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Far North said...

What a fun-tastic card! Love your background and thanks for sharing your details! So glad I can do a little more with Goosebumps! Beautiful snowflakes. Thanks for playing in the MMCC!

Lisa Lara said...

Oh my love love how you created that background Karen.

cotnob said...

Another gorgeous card Karen, I always love your beautiful backgrounds.
Pauline
x

Sue said...

Stunning effects, Karen! Thank you for sharing the technique and for joining in at ATSM.

Sue B said...

Wow! this is gorgeous Karen… I love the icy background and the beautiful snowflake! :-)
Hope you have a great weekend!
Big hugs
Sue B xx

dnisme@blogspot.com said...

Hi Karen. I so look forward to your emails and seeing what you've done next. I have some Goosebumps languishing in a corner and can't wait to try this technique. I only hope mine can look as "icy" and pretty as your card. :)

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Karen, how funny! I have Goosebumps too in my stash! I love what you've done it, and what an amazing card! Hugs, sweet friend!

Bobby said...

Your background looks like a frosted window pane. I love how it turned out.

cm said...

Definitely a lovely icy, frosty look, and pairing it with that pretty silver snowflake only adds to the impact. So gorgeous! I've not heard of Goosebumps before; I'll certainly scope it out! Thank you for sharing your card in the ATSM Gallery!
~c

Lea Lawson said...

This is very pretty!! Love the background!!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Stunning! I shall have to check out the Goosebumps! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous creation with the mixed media card challenge.

Patrice said...

Lovely effect, and such a stunning background - must go in search of Goosebumps now. Thanks for sharing and joining the Just Add Ink 'texture' challenge this week.

Christine Blain said...

This is beautiful, Karen. I love that you've stamped the sentiment directly on that gorgeous background panel. The silver snowflakes are a gorgeous addition, too. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink this week.

KimB said...

That background is quite stunning Karen and quite 3D. Love how you finished it off simply with the big snowflake and sentiments. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

Deepti said...

You master the art of gorgeous BG :) thank you for sharing this beauty with ATSM !

Tina said...

Wow! Your background is fabulous, and I love the way you've let it shine on your card. Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink.

Svenja said...

Great, great, great card. I love that frosty style. Plus I've never thought of usind such a huge snowflake and might need to steal the idea....

Loll said...

LOVE the background for this card Karen. Such a cool look ... will have to look into Goosebumps :) Perfect colours for this frosty card ... love the sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Card Challenge. Loll xx

sannalippert said...

love the silver with the blue tones! beautiful card! thanks for playing alogn with us at MMCC :)

Lee-Anne said...

Whoo hoo, Karen...congrats on being Dr. John's #1 pick at Virginia's View :)

Elina Stromberg said...

Beautiful! Love the background texture and the silver snowflake. Great design!
Thanks for playing with us at MMCC challenge. Hoping to see you with us again in December!

Gibmiss said...

Hi Karen
Fabulous card....
Love the colours you have used....
Hugs Sylvie xxx

maria f. said...

You enabler, you. I'd never heard of Goosebumps (at least not the crafty kind). Looks like lotsa fun. What a great blue BG. Thanks for playing with us at the MMCC this month.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a great looking card! You rock the winter blues.